Saturday, June 19, 2010

About Nautalloy Products

My father, Harwood Shepard, Sr., founded Aluminum Marine Hardware Co in the basement of our home in Auburn, New York about 1946. The company opened it's first manufacturing plant in nearby Port Byron in 1947. The name was changed to Nautalloy Products, Inc around 1955.

The original product idea was to manufacture marine hardware made of aluminum as it did not rust in salt water. The early products consisted of small boat cleats, chocks, oar locks, lights and other items made exclusively of aluminum.

Many of the early hardware items were sand castings  made at a small local foundry operated by a man named Ben White. They were then polished, degreased and finished at the Port Byron plant.

The company grew in the late 50's and early 60's by adding many new products including steering wheels, windshields, canvas boat tops and virtually ever accessory primarily for runabout type outboard boats. Distribution was accomplished through a network of manufacturer’s representatives throughout the US. Sales were made to boat manufacturers, marine dealers, and marinas. The company displayed its products at the annual New York and Miami boat shows.

About 1958 my father started an association with a very talented engineer named Tom Faul. Tom was a Czechoslovakian refugee living in Canada. He was associated with Grevette Boats of Ontario Canada. He designed some beautiful wooden inboard runabouts one of which my Dad owned.

For a couple of years Tom worked as an independent designer for Nautalloy and then around 1959 he and his family moved to Auburn, New York to work full time for Nautalloy. The company was now located at 9-12 Logan St., a large old former shoe factory in Auburn and had up to 60 employees. Through Tom Faul 's creative  efforts the "Skylark" line of marine hardware was created. Skylark was a  stylish line of deck hardware, a  beautifully designed bow light, stern light and innovative 4 spoked steering wheel.

In about 1959 Nautalloy started a boat building operation at another location in Auburn. The boat was named  Aquabird.  Plywood molded hulls were imported from Canada. The transom, gunwales stiffeners, seats and decking was added to complete a 14 foot outboard runabout. This operation wound down in a couple of years. The main company operations were moved to 213 North Street in Auburn, NY.

Nautalloy diversified into other products including nautical jewelry, beverage coolers, Plexiglas office chair mats, boat fuel tanks and marine holding tanks and waste pump out stations for marinas.

The recession beginning in 1961 had a severe impact on Nautalloy and the marine business in general. The company finally ran out of working capital and in 1963 Nautalloy was sold to Airtek Dynamics of Compton, California. Subsequently the company was sold to a company named Emtec in Elyria, Ohio. In 1964 all Nautalloy operations were moved to Elyria, Ohio.

I grew up in the Nautalloy business. My father put me to work at an early age at various jobs including assembling products working at "piece rate", working in the accounting department and taking product photos for the annual catalog. I also worked in Aquabird boat factory. At age 17 he packed up a Pontiac station wagon with samples and sent me on the road calling on boat dealers from New York to Maine. This started my career in sales with lasted until recent retirement.


3/17/12 I am very interested in an obtaining an  original Nautalloy catalog 1964 or before.

I have and original 1976 catalog if anyone needs this for reference it please contact me. 

14 comments:

  1. I am the proud owner of many brand new Nautalloy fittings and live in the area. It is nice to have a bit of history. emacholl@twcny.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a 1962 Pipestone boat with an Aquabird steering wheel. It is very stiff so would like to lubricate it. Wanted to get the hubcap off without destroying the wheel. Are there any instructions for removing the cap?

    Thanks, mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering if I could get some help identifying a possible Nautalloy "Aquabird" Boat, that I recently purchased? Hutchcollc@rocketmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Aquabird boat manufactured by Nautalloy in the 1960's was made of wood. It was a molded plywood haul. It is doubtful that it would survive this long as the molded plywood rotted fairly quickly

      Shep

      Delete
    2. The Aquabird boat manufactured by Nautalloy in the 1960's was made of wood. It was a molded plywood haul. It is doubtful that it would survive this long as the molded plywood rotted fairly quickly

      Shep

      Delete
    3. Can I send you a picture? I truly believe that I may have one, it's been parked in a barn covered for many years and is in beautiful shape. Hutchcollc@rocketmail.com

      Delete
  4. The boat is 14', Tom Faul hardware, molded plywood, Evenrude outboard "Skylark", black and white. The boat is going to be in the Fall 12' Issue of "Bone Yard Boats."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have acomplete set in the original box of Skylark deck hardware: 1-CR550 bow handle, 2-CR553 Bow Chocks, 2-CR554 4&1/2"cleats, 1-CR556 6"Cleat, 2-CR552 Stern Handles, Complete set of screws. Dave Sneed, dsneed@irchabitat.org.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous:: Need CR554 for 1972 Hydrogen restoration. Would you sell one or both? Please reply to goodnowt@aol.com.
      WIG

      Delete
  6. My company Bayon Custom Boats bought hardware from Nautalloy from the late 60's until 1989. Dave Hopkins was our last sales contact.
    I was looking to see if the bow rails they provided for our 20' Daycruiser could possible be available.
    Any information would be appreciated.
    Thank You,
    Bill,
    wbestor@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I have bought an old hull, in France, this summer. An old hull to renew. I have no informations about this boat, except the steerwheel Aquabird. It seems to be a Nautalloy product. May I send you pictures. Could you help me to identify that boat ?
    Best regards. Laurent Carte (France)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this history lesson! I bought a 1968 boston whaler out of a barn and was restoring it when I saw this cool original steering wheel. I peeled away 5 layers of paint and could make out the name Nautalloy on the center cap. I am restoring it and its my favorite part of the boat. I'm curious after reading your history... how did the Nautalloy wheels end up on all the boston whalers - I think into the 70's. Was that your salesmanship? That Nautalloy steering wheel (and the old red morse control) became iconic symbols for the famous Montauk.
    Thanks again. I really enjoyed your story.
    TK

    ReplyDelete